Monday, March 28, 2005

Dinosaurs!

Read More......

My internet's been down, which is why I haven't been able to update for a while. It seems to be fine, though, and in the process my Dad very helpfully updated our internet connection to 2mb, which, as you can imagine, has my Internet now speeding along quite happily. Yay! In the meantime, I've been spending my time driving with my Dad, speaking to family (since my Granny is staying with us for the long weekend), cooking (well, helping to cook), making bracelets with my sister (I've gotten good at it now), and watching films. It's been quite relaxing, really. Today I got Easter eggs, which make everyone's day just that bit better.

Yesterday I was going to see James, but because of it being Easter and all, his Mum didn't really want me coming over. That's fair enough, but I was still a bit disappointed, as I've not seen him in a while. No harm done, though, and I'm going to Newport on Tuesday to say hi, so it's not like I have to wait ages to see him again. I've never been to Newport before, so I'm quite excited :D exploring!

DINOSAURS! (haha, I'm such a geek.) The main points:
A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday. Paleontologists forced to break the creature's massive thighbone to get it on a helicopter found not a solid piece of fossilized bone, but instead something looking a bit less like a rock. When they got it into a lab and chemically removed the hard minerals, they found what looked like blood vessels, bone cells and perhaps even blood cells.

Of course, the big question is whether it will be possible to see dinosaur DNA. "We don't know yet. We are doing a lot in the lab now that looks promising," Schweitzer said.

Horner said he hoped museums around the world would start cracking open bones and looking for soft tissue in their fossils. "Dinosaurs are relatively rare and we certainly think of Tyrannosaurus rex as being really rare — although it really isn't — so people tend not to want to cut holes into the bone or cut them in half," he said. "But to study the cellular and molecular structures of these things you have to do that." The "good stuff," he said, is on the inside.

:D How cool is that? It's like Jurassic Park all over again, except real!

This evening my Dad wants to play a UT2k4 LAN match, so I best get some practise in beforehand. I've not played it in absolutely ages, especially with real people and not bots! Arg. I hope I've not gotten crap. That would be a bit embarrassing, especially when I used to always win! Rar.

PS. Chinchillas cannot climb trees! Despite what the Internet says. It's just not right (like a platypus or midget dogs).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home